Upstart Roadmap for 14.04 LTS release
= Overview =
General discussion on plans for the 14.04 LTS cycle.
= References =
Ideas for future development: https:/
* two main features worked on this cycle
* refining ptrace handling for upstart for service readiness
* cgroup support
* time bridge
* upstart user sessions on terminal logins
= cgroup support =
* cgroup manager should be started early in boot
* apw points out that it could be started directly from upstart before any job parsing (treating it as internal to upstart); this is an option but probably not necessary
* deal gracefully with the kernel not having cgroup support
* cgroup support needs to be both a build-time and runtime option; if enabled, missing cgroups should be fatal for the job
* if cgroups are not disabled, jobs specifying the 'cgroup' stanza will block until the cgroup manager has started.
* cgroups should be applied to all job processes (pre-start, exec, etc)
* document carefully.
* should we support the case where multiple job instances share the same group?
possible syntax: 'cgroup <controller> <cgroup-name|auto> [key=value]'
* we want cgroup support for user jobs
* one cgroup per user per controller
[stgraber] work out the syntax of the cgroups stanzas for upstart: DONE
[stgraber] write spec: DONE
[jamesodhunt] implement cgroup support within upstart (talking to the cgroup manager): POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Write unit tests for cgroup support: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Extend DEP-8 tests for cgroup support: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] get dbus upstream to support restoring connections from a socket on re-exec: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Re-enable Upstart D-Bus activation (bug 1238514): POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Investigate making child handling fully async to ensure cgmanager cannot block PID 1: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Implement IPv6 support for socket bridge (bug 942955): DONE
[jamesodhunt] Implement UDP support for socket bridge (bug 1265014): POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] upstart should support systemd-style socket activation (debian bug 732179): POSTPONED