Ubuntu Update Server
There needs to be an easily deployable way for an organization to deploy packages and security updates using their own network resources. This spec will outline how we expect an "update server" to sync off of an Ubuntu mirror and then allow an admin to approve fixes and updates for large groups of machines, which will reduce the burden on the existing mirror network and allow admins finer control of what gets deployed where.
It would be interesting if it could do the following:
* have a custom sources.list to choose where to get packages from
* manage multiple Ubuntu versions
* manage SSH keys to connect to clients and deploy updates
* be able to deploy updates to a user selected list of hosts
* be able to create groups
* adjusting automatic updates based on rules. ie "always update hosts in group 'servers' with 'security updates'"
* create logs, keep track of updates on every client
* handle host downtimes ( deploy updates once the client is available )