Investigate alternatives to mysql
Include alternatives to MySQL in Ubuntu for evaluation prior to the next LTS release.
MySQL has/is rock solid and provides a sound foundation as a relational database for Ubuntu.
However, MySQL derivatives offer some interesting features and the potential to work more openly with a MySQL compatible upstream.
We should help get MariaDB and Percona into Debian/Ubuntu so we can review the default for 14.04.
Bob is an Ubuntu developer who wants to check the history of a CVE in Mysql that was recently released.
Fred is an Ubuntu user who wants to find out how a bug that he has in his production webisite, however he is unable to do so because the fix was non disclosed on Oracle's bug tracker.
Jane wants to deploy MySQL with sync replication provided by Galera; she's able todo this with Percona/MariaDB in Ubuntu.
Almost all work will be done in Debian and will be synced to Ubuntu when it has been released in Debian.
MariaDB "proposed" in Debian, however not complete:
[OUT OF SCOPE]
Which database will be in main, universe or partner pockets (defer to 14.04)
Users will be able to test percona/mariadb in their test environments.
Ubuntu 13.10 features (Percona|MariaDB), a MySQL compatibile derivative, as a preview prior to review of the default MySQL implementation in 14.04.
Initial comparision (needs review/updating):
* [davewalker] Look into migration paths provided by other distros: TODO
* [clint-fewbar] Investigate how best to share/conflict libmysql namespace: TODO
* [stewart] Package percona for Debian: TODO
* [zulcss] sync percona into Saucy: TODO
* Help get mariadb into Debian: TODO
* [zulcss] Request microrelease exception for mysql: TODO
* Blueprints in grey have been implemented.