Ubuntu Cloud Archive
Recently it was announced (at http://
Provide users to use the latest Openstack releases on an Ubuntu LTS.
- Dave Walker
- Ubuntu Server Team
- Chuck Short
- Series goal:
- Accepted for quantal
- Milestone target:
- Started by
- Kate Stewart on 2012-06-28
- Completed by
- Dave Walker on 2012-10-03
UDS Discussion points:
Welcome to Ubuntu Developer Summit!
#uds-p #track #topic
'The Cloud Archive'
- NOT PPA's
- Personal and not of release quality with 'unknown' controls.
- NOT backports
- Only single version can be supported at a time
- Upgrade testing for possible upgrade paths.
Cloud Archive will support Openstack and all of its dependencies.
- Duplicate set of pockets for each openstack release
- Release Mangement? Archive Freezes? can this be supported using the existing process/mechanism?
- 2 week offset from main ubuntu release cycle
- same processes around archive pocket freezes as main ubuntu release.
- Support targetting to cloud archive overlay packages.
PPA - developer options for using openstack on current stable release
- Not mirrored.
Work with OpenStack upstream to produce consolidated PPA strategy
Sync with CI strategy for Openstack QA - specifically upgrade testing
Create 'cloud-archive' project and infrastructure to support.
Document release process and schedule
Feature for add-apt-repository to enable cloud archive with nice addressing scheme.
Al wants to use multi-host ARM servers however since he still wants run to precise he needs to run Folsom since it has proper ARM support for running instances. By deploying Folsom from the cloud archive he can use the latest cutting features of Folsom while still using precise.
Dave wants to use hyper-v on Openstack, since it was removed in essex. Dave will have to upgrade to folsom but still wants to use an LTS release of Ubuntu as a base.
- Applies to nova, swift, glance, quantum, horizon, and keystone.
- Folsom packaging is in production quality for precise.
- Juju charms have been updated to either run folsom or essex on precise.
- Packages that are not found in precise will be backported as well.
1) Upgrade path
Test upgrade from precise to folsom on precise.
Charms on precise will be updated to either support folsom or essex.
3) New install
New installation of precise, user installs folsom straight fromt the cloud archive.
Ubuntu 12.10 provides users still running an Ubuntu server LTS newer openstack releases throught the Ubuntu Cloud Archive.
Write up policy for cloud archive: DONE
Write up process for cloud archvie: DONE
Create related packaging branches: DONE
Write upgrade tests for Openstack: POSTPONED
Create openstack-ci infrastructure: DONE
Liase with canonical-is to create cloud-archive for precise-folsom: DONE
Create launchpad project for cloud-archvie: DONE
Create staging PPA for cloud-archive: DONE
Publicize cloud-archive in a blog post: DONE
Upload folsom-1 to the cloud archive: DONE
Upload folsom-2 to the cloud archive: DONE
Upload folsom-3 to the cloud archive: DONE
Upload release candidate to the cloud archive: DONE
Upload final release to the cloud archive: DONE
* Blueprints in grey have been implemented.