PHP 5.4 for Ubuntu 12.04

Registered by Clint Byrum on 2011-10-23

PHP is about to make a new "minor" revision bump, from 5.3 to 5.4. This will remove some long standing security problems like register_globals, and add some advanced new features like Traits. The 5.3 series, meanwhile, will be coming to an end sometime sooner than the end of 12.04's 5 year supported cycle. In the interest of shipping an advanced but stable LTS, we should consider shipping 5.4.0 as the PHP version in 12.04 rather than 5.3.9.

Blueprint information

Status:
Complete
Approver:
Antonio Rosales
Priority:
Low
Drafter:
Ubuntu Server Team
Direction:
Approved
Assignee:
Clint Byrum
Definition:
Approved
Series goal:
Accepted for precise
Implementation:
Informational Informational
Milestone target:
milestone icon precise-alpha-2
Started by
Clint Byrum on 2012-01-06
Completed by
Clint Byrum on 2012-03-26

Related branches

Sprints

Whiteboard

Status: This has been a hard, back and forth process, and I am not entirely happy with the result, but I don't feel there was anything more we could do. With Suhosin unavailable for 5.4.0, we have decided to ship 5.3.10 with the full protections of Suhosin and its known working state rather than 5.4.0 without Suhosin. With beta2 all but released (undergoing final testing) with 5.3.10, there isn't much more we can do. Thanks to everyone who put their time and input into this. -Clint

There is a PPA with up-to-date version of PHP 5.4.0 for lucid - oneiric: https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/php5 and people are already using it. (I already had some user base).

Work items:
[ubuntu-server] In january, assess situation based on Debian status and decide 5.4 or 5.3 then: DONE
[clint-fewbar] maintain a merged 5.4 in a PPA ( ppa:clint-fewbar/php5 ) : DONE
[clint-fewbar] setup rebuilds for extensions that build-dep on php5-dev: POSTPONED
[ondrej] setup backport for lucid to allow wider PHP 5.4 testing before the upgrade: DONE

Question:
Does this require discussion or just rubber stamping? -- Daviey

Answer:
It is not entirely clear whether 5.4.0 will be sufficiently similar to 5.3.x to include in this release. The more conservative approach is just to ship 5.3.9 or 5.3.10 and leave 5.4.0 for 12.10, but the PHP community is interested in weighing in on the issue and I'd also like to hear the security team's take on the matter.

 * provide packages for both precise and lucid in the ppa (or lucid-backports) so people can test before upgrade
 * provide rebuilt extensions against the new ABI

Question:
With both PHP 5.4.0 final and Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 released today, is it correct to assume that the chances of PHP 5.4 being shipped with Ubuntu 12.04 are basically non existant? -Clemens

(?)

Work Items

Work items:
[ubuntu-server] In january, assess situation based on Debian status and decide 5.4 or 5.3 then: DONE
[clint-fewbar] maintain a merged 5.4 in a PPA ( ppa:clint-fewbar/php5 ) : DONE
[clint-fewbar] setup rebuilds for extensions that build-dep on php5-dev: POSTPONED
[ondrej] setup backport for lucid to allow wider PHP 5.4 testing before the upgrade: DONE

Dependency tree

* Blueprints in grey have been implemented.