Eucalyptus for 10.10 (Maverick)
Ubuntu 10.04 shipped the Eucalyptus 1.6.2 release, which was mostly a "stable release" built upon the 1.6 series introduced in Ubuntu 9.10.
What's going on in the next Eucalyptus release, and what needs to be done in Ubuntu to merge and package that?
This session should discuss with the upstream Eucalyptus developers the changes we should expect for 10.10 (Maverick).
On the Ubuntu side, the weekly merges (Mondays) of Eucalyptus and Euca2ools seemed to work very well from my perspective (kirkland). I propose we continue with the same.
I also propose that we have a look at the Low and Wishlist bugs in:
And decide if some are those are things that we (or upstream) can/should fix for 10.10, or, rather, mark them won't-fix and clear a bit of the bug backlog noise.
- Jos Boumans
- Dave Walker
- Dave Walker
- Series goal:
- Accepted for maverick
- Milestone target:
- Started by
- Dustin Kirkland on 2010-06-02
- Completed by
- Dave Walker on 2010-10-19
Initial eucalyptus-2.0 merge in progress, working through new issues introduced by 2.0
* euca_admin work item blocked on upstream, not Alpha blocking -> moving to beta
Work items for maverick-alpha-2:
[davewalker] fix Bug #588410, virtio for EBS volumes: DONE
[ccheney] fix Bug #579942, user enumeration, maverick & lucid-updates: DONE
[ccheney] MIR tgt iscsi target, Bug #594372: DONE
[davewalker] convert eucalyptus diffs to quilt: DONE
[davewalker] initial merge of eucalyptus-devel for maverick: DONE
[davewalker] initial merge of euca2ools for maverick: DONE
[ccheney] Fix Bug #588861, Unable to start an instance: DONE
[davewalker] Fix Bug #595421, Compatibility with Groovy 1.7: DONE
[davewalker] week 7 eucalyptus, euca2ools merge: DONE
Work items for maverick-alpha-3:
[davewalker] Initial 2.0 merge (1/3): DONE
[davewalker] Initial 2.0 merge (2/3): DONE
[davewalker] Initial 2.0 merge (3/3): DONE
[davewalker] week 12 eucalyptus, euca2ools merge: DONE
[davewalker] Install python user tools: DONE
[davewalker] Added new Recommends, mainly ISCSI: DONE
[davewalker] week 13 eucalyptus, euca2ools merge: DONE
[davewalker] Raise MIR for libcrypt-
[davewalker] Fix libjibx issue, causing FTBFS and can't install euca': DONE
Work items for ubuntu-10.10-beta:
[davewalker] Install python euca_admin module: DONE
[davewalker] Fix/Verify Bug #566792 : DONE
[davewalker] Fix/Verify Bug #609112 : DONE
[davewalker] Fix/Verify Bug #610479 : DONE
[davewalker] Fix/Verify Bug #610259 : DONE
[davewalker] Fix/Verify Bug #610987 : POSTPONED
[davewalker] week 14 eucalyptus, euca2ools merge: DONE
[davewalker] week 15 eucalyptus, euca2ools merge: DONE
[davewalker] week 16 eucalyptus, euca2ools cherrypick: DONE
[davewalker] week 17 eucalyptus, euca2ools cherrypick: DONE
update UEC frontend theme to new Ubuntu aubergine branding (find someone in Design team ?): DONE
[davewalker] apply updated theme: DONE
Work items for ubuntu-10.10:
[davewalker] apply updated theme: DONE
[davewalker] Fix/Verify Bug #610987 (Doesn't warrant a version bump for this) : POSTPONED
[davewalker] week 19 eucalyptus, euca2ools cherrypick: DONE
[davewalker] week 20 eucalyptus, euca2ools cherrypick: DONE
== Eucalyptus plans ==
- focus on stability, scale in the front-end
- focus on management, scale on the back-end
- improved management commandline tools
- user management
- add/remove users from the command line
- regular user get credentials
- improved admin UI design using new GWT
- re-factored back-end (CC/NC) for scale
- virtio support
- iscsi protocol for EBS
- boot from EBS
- live migration
- maintenance mode
- monitoring (cloudwatch API)
== Questions ==
* Configure dedicated cores / Overcommitment ?
* MAX_CORES in /etc/eucalyptus
* Specified on NC level, need to move to API level (or use puppet)
* Logging? Helper to debug installations?
- track instance log through out the infrastructure
centralized logging service in eucalyptus (mathiaz suggest scribe (with thrift for application integration)
Use case: get all the log messages from the different components related to an instanceId.
* iscsi: which components/projects are planned to be used?
Initiator (on Node Controller): open-iscsi (available in the kernel).
Target (on Storage Controller): iscsit arget (requires a kernel module, tgt, http://
- MIR needed for iSCSI target
- Possibly kernel module needs to be synced
- thread: https:/
* support for iscsi appliances? Not for 10.10ni.
* user get credentials other than web? Administrator can get user credentials.
* external backend for user management?
- for Core: script user management: abitity to inject users into Eucalyptus.
* Migration for power saving? Policy to evacuate a node so it can be turned off?
* Requires live migration (11.04)
* What about HA for CC/NC? How is it going to be addressed?
* Going to be working on HA, lots of "state" in a Eucalyptus system, in design phase now
* Not a 10.10 or 11.04 target
* requires a redesign of core components/
* windows guests
* addon to Opensource Core
* full virt (kernel in guest) linux
* blog posts exist on how to do this
* LXC containers support in eucalyptus: open to outside contributions
== Merging & Packaging ==
* Review 10.04 merging procedure, apply to 10.10 ?
* Continue weekly merges
* Version *might* be 1.7
* Other packaging improvements (not already covered in the UEC installer/autoreg session?)
== Other Questions ==
* What kind of information is likely to be exposed for monitoring (next session)
* Is KVM's KMS used in Euca?
* Yes, as of 10.04 (no action necessary from admin or vm's)
* may be too agressive though (20 ms refresh)
* can be configured in /etc/default/
* RBAC support?
== Actions ==
* Merge to Maverick now, start weekly merges