Convert SysV init.d jobs to upstart in main.
Convert existing 122 SystemV init.d services in main to Upstart job configuration files.
This task could be simplified by the introduction of abstract jobs and event aliases.
[vorlon] abstract job needed for display manager startup
[jhunt] could also add abstract jobs / events / event aliases for:
- network-manager (NetworkManager, wicd, connman)
...and events for:
- "boot", "reboot", "shutdown", "multi-user", "graphical-login"? (aliases for runlevel)
- "network" (currently, you have to say "start on stopped networking").
See LSB for more ideas:
[jhunt] The systemd guys have already audited the SysV jobs in Fedora when porting them to systemd. We could potentially make use of this work.
[jamesodhunt] Introduce "helpers" (abstract jobs, new events and aliases): POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Update upstart-events(7) for helpers: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Update Upstart Cookbook for helpers: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Advertise "helpers" to Community: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Group SysV services in main by perceived importance (requires input from others): POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Request help from Community and Server Team to migrate packages: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Investigate systemd efforts to migrate away from SysV (to systemd's ".desktop" format): POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Work on converting a subset of SysV services: POSTPONED
[jamesodhunt] Work with QA to minimise problems: POSTPONED
- Need to ensure QA are aware of changes as the occur, to minimise problems.
- Care must be taken to ensure that all "helpers" are of the appropriate type (see Tables 1 and 2 in upstart-events(7).
- Some of these packages are currently sync'ed from Debian unmodified. We should work to get these changes in Debian so we don't need to maintain the diff.
- this requires first finishing the Debian policy on upstart jobs