Stellarium DSO catalog
The NGC catalog used in Stellarium currently has many mistakes. We need make new catalog of DSO who provide more accurate data of the nebulas and more information about the type of the nebulae. This info could be used to use icons matching the type of nebula, and also to draw ellipses for galaxies. Also we can used this catalog as base for adds some external cataloges of DSO.
The code change should be located in modules/
Skills needed: C++, Basic astronomy knowledge
Difficulty: easy, an ideal task to get started coding on Stellarium!
A possibly useful source of public domain data for e.g. Messier objects is the HyperLeda site. Although the site's main focus is galaxy data, other deep sky objects are included as well. SQL and multiple named objects searching is supported so pulling a list of objects should be easy.
From their web page: "Access and data provided by HyperLeda can be freely used, and the software is distributed under the Open Source GNU Public License. Usage of services and/or data is warmly encouraged."
Consolidated catalog contains data from:
* HYPERLEDA. I. Catalog of galaxies (PGC) - subset limited by magnitude 15
* New General Catalogue (NGC)
* Index Catalogue (IC)
* Messier Catalog (M)
* Caldwell Catalogue (C)
* Barnard Catalogue (B)
* Sharpless Catalogue (Sh 2)
* Lynds' Catalogue of Bright Nebulae (LBN)
* Lynds' Catalogue of Dark Nebulae (LDN)
* A catalogue of Hα-emission regions in the southern Milky Way (RCW)
* Van den Bergh Catalogue of reflection nebulae (VdB)
* Collinder Catalogue (Col)
* Melotte Catalogue of Deep Sky Objects (Mel)
* Catalogue of galactic planetary nebulae (Perek-Kohoutek) (PK)
* Cederblad Catalog of bright diffuse Galactic nebulae (Ced)
* Blueprints in grey have been implemented.