Convert to gnu gettext
Convert SABnzbd from the current DIY I18N method to GNU gettext.
- Replace acronyms by original English texts
- Convert current non-english files to PO format
- Rewrite i18n support code to be gettext compatible
- Create a solution for the email templates
I have written some scripts to:
- Substitute existing T(<arconym>) patterns to T(<english text>) in all Python files
- Substitute existing $T(<arconym>) patterns to $T(<english text>) in all TMPL files
- Extract a POT file from the converted Python and TMPL files
- Create MO files in a proper folder structure
We have many skins and most skins contain 95% identical text strings.
gettext doesn't handle this very well, resulting in difficult syncing of skins and a high likelihood of divergence of the skin texts.
Instead we should have a separate Python file that contains all texts of the skins, assigning texts to an acronym-dictionary.
The skins keep using the acronym system.
This is just as well, since the python/gettext tools don't properly support HTML anyway.
The only remaining parts are:
- email templates
- Installer texts
- Some text files
- Convert to some simple PY scripts with embedded texts
- gettext toolsl create POT file
- manually do a one-time conversion of existing translations to PO files
- The simple PY scripts creates the current text files (the nsis file is a bit more complex)
* Blueprints in grey have been implemented.