We need the ability for the system for perform the following actions in relation to XenServer and VHDs.
• On Demand: The ability to take a bootable snapshot image of a virtual machine at any time.
• Scheduled: The ability to take bootable snapshots of a virtual machine on a scheduled basis.
• Object storage: The ability to move snapshots to Swift or some other file storage
• Restore: The ability to restore a previously taken snapshot to a virtual machine.
I marking as 'slow progress' for now, though it should accelerate as pieces (Glance getting more stable/functional, and issues with the CloudServer API code-path in OpenStack) are worked out.
I have XenServer snapshots working end-to-end, meaning, you can take a snapshot and it will appear in Swift and be registered in Glance. The remaining work mostly involves cleanup. On the Glance side, we still have work left to make this process efficient (Chunk PUTs, etc); but that isn't work directly included in the XS-snap blueprint, merely a dependency.
Should be complete with the merging of the two attached branches.
* Blueprints in grey have been implemented.